Adding the TR-808 Software Rhythm Composer to a Drum Rack in Ableton Live allows customers to use the Drum Rack in Ableton Live to record drum patterns to a MIDI track.
- In Ableton Live arrangement view, add a Drum Rack to a MIDI track.
- From the Plug-Ins menu, add the TR-808 plugin to the C1 pad of the Drum Rack.
- In the Drum Rack menu click on the Chain List icon to show the Chain List.
- Click on the I/O icon to show the input/output section for the Drum Rack.
- Click on the Receive/ Play chooser and select All Notes from the dropdown menu
- On the TR-808 graphical user interface click the Option button.
- Uncheck "Position Lock to Daw" from the Option drop-down menu. (This allows the TR-808's pattern to be played from a MIDI region in the track of the DAW.
- Record a pattern in the MIDI track of Ableton Live and you're all set!
- Note: The same method works for the TR-707, TR-727, TR-606 and TR-909.
Here's the link to a video outlining the above process: Use the TR-808 in Ableton LIKE THIS!