When you play on the SPD-30 pads, each of them send out a different MIDI Note Number. In fact, two different Note Numbers can be transmitted from each pad if desired. These Note Numbers are preassigned in each Kit from the factory, however they can be changed if desired. For example, if you're using the SPD-30 to trigger an external device through MIDI (e.g. software, sound module) and you're not able to trigger specific sounds using the SPD-30's existing MIDI Note mapping, you can specify which Note Numbers are transmitted from each pad. Here's how:
1. Choose a Kit to edit.
2. Press MENU.
3. Turn the function 1 (F1) knob to highlight "MIDI," and then press the function 3 (F3) button (ENTER).
4. Press F2 to select the "NOTE#" tab.
5. Hit the pad that you'd like to assign the Note Number to.
6. Turn the F2 or F3 knob to select the desired Number.
7. Repeat Steps 4 and 5 for the other pads as desired.
8. Press the BACK button when you're finished. The new settings are saved in the Kit automatically.