If the BR-1180CD is not operating properly, the hard drive may be fragmented. Symptoms include the BR-1180 locking up when performing various functions, not loading a song, noise in recordings, errors during playback, recording and/or any other function in the recorder.
It's recommended to back up all data and then initializing the hard drive to clear out this normal fragmentation. To avoid receiving errors and/or problems, initialize the hard drive a couple of times a year. The following steps will guide you through the Song Backup, Drive Initialize and Song Recover procedures--in order to alleviate the fragmentation.
- Insert a blank CDR into the BR-1180's CD drive.
- Press DATA SAVE/LOAD.
- CURSOR to DATA CD:BACKUP.
- Press ENTER.
- CURSOR to SONG.
- Press ENTER.
- CURSOR to the Song that you want to Backup.
- Press ENTER to mark the song. (an * will appear next to the title.)
- CURSOR to GO.
- Press ENTER 2 times.
- Press UTILITY.
- Cursor to HDD & press Enter.
- Cursor to INITIALIZE and press Enter.
- Set FORMAT MODE to "Surface Scan".
- Cursor down to GO and press Enter.
- Answer YES to "Are you sure?"
- Place the BACKUP CD into the drive.
- Press the DATA SAVE/LOAD button.
- Cursor to select RECOVER and press ENTER/YES, which will show a listing of the song on the CD to recover.
- Cursor to the song you want to select to recover to the Hard Drive and turn the dial so that an asterick ( * ) appears to the right of the song title.
- You can select multiple songs to recover by cursoring to another song and turning the dial to make an asterick appear there as well.
- When you have the songs to backup marked with an asterick, cursor to GO and press enter.
- Respond with the ENTER YES button to begin recovering from a BACKUP CD.