When a hard disk (i.e. hard drive) recorder stores new files, it squeezes them into any bits of space it can find. As a result, the data winds up scattered all over the hard drive. When the data from one song file, for example, is stored in many locations within the hard drive memory, the hard drive is said to be �fragmented�. When the recorder plays back a file from a fragmented hard drive, it has to grab a little piece from here, another piece from there and so on. This is much harder than playing one continuous chunk of data from a single hard drive location. This can slow things down unacceptably and lead to errors during playback, recording and/or any other function in the recorder.
Fragmentation is a naturally occurring process for a hard drive used with any computer or recording device. Hard drives that record audio are especially prone to fragmentation due to the start-and-stop nature of recording.
We recommend backing up all of your data and then initializing the hard drive to clear out this normal fragmentation. To avoid receiving errors and/or problems, initialize the hard drive every 3 months if the unit is being used constantly or every 6 months if the unit is being used only occasionally. The following steps will guide you through the Song Backup, Drive Initialize and Song Recover procedures:
Note: If the BR-1180 does not allow you to perform the Song Backup procedure below (due to locking up or an error message), you may contact our Roland Customer Support department (323-890-3740) to arrange for "Data Recovery" service. Our service technicians can attempt to recover any data that is on your hard drive. Customer Support is available M-F 8:30am-5:00pm Pacific time.
- Insert a blank CDR into the BR-1180's CD drive.
- Press DATA SAVE/LOAD.
- CURSOR to DATA CD:BACKUP.
- Press ENTER.
- CURSOR to SONG.
- Press ENTER.
- CURSOR to the Song that you want to Backup.
- Press ENTER to mark the song. (an * will appear next to the title.)
- CURSOR to GO.
- Press ENTER 2 times.
- Press UTILITY.
- Cursor to HDD & press Enter.
- Cursor to INITIALIZE and press Enter.
- Set FORMAT MODE to "Surface Scan".
- Cursor down to GO and press Enter.
- Answer YES to "Are you sure?"
- Place the BACKUP CD into the drive.
- Press the DATA SAVE/LOAD button.
- Cursor to select RECOVER and press ENTER/YES, which will show a listing of the song on the CD to recover.
- Cursor to the song you want to select to recover to the Hard Drive and turn the dial so that an asterick ( * ) appears to the right of the song title.
- You can select multiple songs to recover by cursoring to another song and turning the dial to make an asterick appear there as well.
- When you have the songs to backup marked with an asterick, cursor to GO and press enter.
- Respond with the ENTER YES button to begin recovering from a BACKUP CD.