The Fantom-X series can be connected to a computer so they can be integrated with music software applications as well as the Roland editor applications. There are two ways to make this connection:
- Direct USB connection. This will use a standard USB cable connected to the square "USB COMPUTER" port on the back of the Fantom-X and then to a standard USB port on your computer.
- Connection using a MIDI Interface. This will use the MIDI In and MIDI Out ports on the back panel of the Fantom-X, which will connect to the interface, and the interface will then connect to a standard USB port on your computer. This is useful it you already have a MIDI or Audio/MIDI interface connected to your system, or if there is not a USB driver available for your computer.
The functionality and operation of the Fantom-X and your computer-based application(s) will be the same no matter which type of connection you are using - the only difference is how the MIDI signals are routed.
Note: if you wish to route the sound (audio) of the Fantom-X into a computer, you will need to use an Audio Interface.
Note: The last USB drivers released for the Fantom-X series workstations supported Windows 8 and Mac OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion). If you are using a later version operating system, you will need to use the second option for connecting to a computer (Connection using a MIDI interface).
Connecting your Fantom-X to a computer using the direct USB connection
1. On the Fantom-X, press MENU.
2. Cursor to "System" and press ENTER.
3. Use the F1/F2 buttons to select the "USB" tab on the left side of the screen.
4. Cursor to "USB Mode" and use the Value Dial to set this to "MIDI." You will need to press F8 (OK) to proceed.
5. Press F8 (System Write) to save this setting, then press EXIT.
6. Download and install the Fantom-X USB driver for your computer and connect the USB cable. You can download the latest drivers from our website here.
Make sure you download the driver that corresponds to the type of computer you have (Mac or Windows-based) and the version of operating system you are using. Once downloaded, you will need to run the setup application to install the driver into your system. This may include re-starting your computer.
7. Confirm that the USB driver is installed correctly and that the computer is communicating correctly with the Fantom-X.
- On a Macintosh, look in the Audio MIDI Setup utility and confirm that the Fantom-X is listed in the MIDI Studio window.
- On a PC, open the Device Manager and confirm that the Fantom-X is listed under "Sound, video, and game controllers."
8. Activate or enable the Fantom-X in your music software. You will need to consult with the documentation for your specific application for this, but usually there is a preferences menu where you will need to enable the Fantom-X so it can be used by your software.
This will allow you to transfer MIDI between the Fantom-X and your computer.
Connecting your Fantom-X to a computer using a separate MIDI or Audio/MIDI interface
1. Download and install the USB driver for your the interface (if necessary).
2. Confirm that the USB driver is installed correctly and that the computer is communicating correctly with the interface.
- On a Macintosh, look in the Audio MIDI Setup utility and confirm that the interface is listed in both the Audio and MIDI Studio windows if it is a Audio and MIDI interface, or only in the MIDI Studio window if it is a MIDI interface.
- On a PC, open the Device Manager and confirm that the interface is listed under "Sound, video, and game controllers."
3. Activate or enable the interface in your music software. You will need to consult with the documentation for your specific application for this.
4. Connect the Fantom-X to the interface.
5. On the Fantom-X, press MENU, then cursor to "System" and press ENTER.
6. Use F1/F2 to select the "USB" tab on the left hand side of the screen.
7. Confirm that the "USB Mode" option is set to "Storage." If it is set to "MIDI" you must change this option to "Storage" so the MIDI jacks on the back panel will work properly.
8. Press F8 "System Write" after confirming the USB Mode is set to Storage to save this setting, then press EXIT to return to the main screen.