Each of the SPD-SX's two external trigger inputs can be split which allows for two external pads/triggers to be connected to one input. When splitting the inputs, it's very important to use the correct type of cable and also setup the trigger inputs properly within the SPD-SX's Setup menu. The following is a setup guide for using two BT-1 bar trigger pads connected to one trigger input on the SPD-SX:
To start, make sure you have the correct cable. This cable is commonly referred to as an "insert" cable. It has a stereo connection on one end, and two mono connections on the opposite end which connect to each pad/trigger.
Roland makes the "PCS-31L":
1. Connect the stereo end to the Trigger input 1/2 on the back of the SPD-SX.
2. Connect the two individual ends to each input on the BT-1 triggers.
Now, you'll want to setup the Trigger input on the SPD-SX. Doing so *tells* the SPD-SX that you're splitting the input.
1. Press MENU.
2. Press the cursor right button to highlight the SETUP icon, and then press ENTER.
3. Cursor down to highlight "TRIG IN."
4. Press ENTER.
5. Press the + button to choose "TRIG X 2" for the input.
6. Cursor down to highlight the TRIG 1 INPUT type.
7. Press the + or - button to choose "PD-8" for the Pad Type. (Note: Do not choose "BT-1" for the Pad Type with this particular setup. Choosing the BT-1 Pad Type would only be recommended when just one BT-1 is connected to the trigger input on the SPD-SX).
8. Cursor down to highlight the TRIG 2 INPUT type, and then press the +/- button to choose "PD-8" for the second input.
9. Press EXIT when you're finished. The new settings are saved automatically.
If you'd like to adjust the sensitivity for the BT-1's further, here's a helpful link from our Knowledge Base: