From the factory, the MIDI note numbers in the TD-17 are already pre-assigned to each of the pads. If desired, you can choose your own custom MIDI note number assignments. This can be convenient for MIDI sequencing or when triggering the sounds in an external MIDI module (i.e. computer). Here's how:
1. Choose a Kit to edit.
2. Press the "OTHER" button.
3. Press the cursor down button once to access the second set of icons.
4. Press the function 3 button (MIDI NOTE).
5. Hit the pad that you would like to change or view the MIDI Note assignment for.
6. Turn the dial to select the Note Number.
7. Repeat Steps 5 and 6 for any remaining pads as desired.
8. When you're finished, press the DRUM KIT button. The new settings are saved in the kit automatically.
*** Note: When you're finished using the TD-17 and you're ready to shut off its power, be sure to use the physical power button on the TD-17 to do so. If, for example, an external switch on a power supply strip or a wall switch is used, the custom settings you have made in the TD-17 will not be saved.