The FANTOM can connect to a computer so they can be integrated with music software applications. There are two ways to make this connection:
- Direct USB connection. This will use a standard USB cable connected to the square "USB COMPUTER" port on the back of the FANTOM and then to a standard USB port on your computer.
- Connection using a MIDI or Audio/MIDI interface. This will use the MIDI In and MIDI Out ports as well as the Main Out (Left/Right) jacks on the back panel of the FANTOM, which will connect to the interface, and the interface will then connect to a standard USB port on your computer.
The functionality and operation of the FANTOM and your computer-based application(s) will be the same no matter which type of connection you are using - the only difference is how the MIDI and Audio signals are routed.
Connecting your FANTOM to a computer using the direct USB connection
1. On the FANTOM, press the MENU button.
2. Touch "SYSTEM" on the touch screen.
3. Use the left knob under the screen to select the "GENERAL" tab on the left side of the screen.
4. Touch "USB Driver" on the screen and use the dial to set this to "VENDOR."
5. Press the WRITE button to save this setting, then power off and back on the FANTOM.
6. Download and install the FANTOM USB driver for your computer and connect the USB cable. You can download the latest drivers from our website here.
Make sure you download the driver that corresponds to the type of computer you have (Mac or Windows-based) and the version of operating system you are using. Once downloaded, you will need to run the setup application to install the driver into your system. This may include re-starting your computer.
Note: If you are using a Windows 10 computer, the driver will be automatically downloaded and installed when you connect the FANTOM to your computer.
7. Confirm that the USB driver is installed correctly and that the computer is communicating correctly with the FANTOM.
- On a Macintosh, open the Audio MIDI Setup utility and confirm that the FANTOM is listed in both the Audio and MIDI Studio windows.
- On a PC, open the Device Manager and confirm that the FANTOM is listed under "Sound, video, and game controllers."
8. Activate or enable the FANTOM in your music software. You will need to consult with the documentation for your specific application for this, but usually there is a preferences menu where you will need to enable the FANTOM so it can be used by your software.
This will allow you to transfer both MIDI and Audio data between the FANTOM and your computer.
Connecting your FANTOM to a computer using a separate MIDI or Audio/MIDI interface
1. Download and install the USB driver for your the interface (if necessary).
2. Confirm that the USB driver is installed correctly and that the computer is communicating correctly with the interface.
- On a Macintosh, open the Audio MIDI Setup utility and confirm that the interface is listed in both the Audio and MIDI Studio windows if it is a Audio and MIDI interface, or only in the MIDI Studio window if it is a MIDI interface.
- On a PC, open the Device Manager and confirm that the interface is listed under "Sound, video, and game controllers."
3. Activate or enable the interface in your music software. You will need to consult with the documentation for your specific application for this.
4. Connect the FANTOM to the interface.