This guide will show you how to setup two 4K cameras for Region of Interest and two live graphics sources on the V-600UHD. The purpose of this example is to give you a understanding of the Cross-Point Assign feature, which is helpful for organizing sources.
Note that XPT is short for Cross-Point when discussing this feature, and Region of Interest (ROI) allows you to turn a 4K camera into multiple HD shots.
If you use HDMI inputs 3 and 4 for graphics, you may not want them on XPT 3 and 4; you may prefer having them at the end, on XPT 7 and 8. Cross-Point Assign is perfect for adjusting this.
Cross-Points can be difficult to configure at first, as you are internally swapping the routing of video sources, so it's easy to mix them up. But it's an incredibly useful tool for getting the multi-view sources to be organized the way you want them to.
Unless you have a specific application for it, don't duplicate Cross-Point assignments. If you do, you'll still create a copy of a camera shot, but it will not allow you to zoom in with Region of Interest without affecting the original shot, because it's technically a complete copy of the image.
Assigned copies, which we'll create later in this guide, are independent from the original shot, so you can resize them using Region of Interest and create an entirely new shot.
To start, note that by default, XPT 1 through 8 are mapped directly to inputs 1-8.
This means that:
- HDMI inputs 1-4 are XPT 1-4
- SDI inputs 5 and 6 are XPT 5-6
- Still 1 and Still 2 are XPT 7-8
Here are our sources in the example:
- Camera A - SDI Input 5
- Camera B - SDI Input 6
- Full-screen Graphics - HDMI Input 3
- Lower Thirds Graphics - HDMI Input 4
Each camera will have two copies of the shot for zooming in using Region of Interest.
SETUP THE CROSS-POINTS
Go to MENU > SYSTEM > CROSS-POINT ASSIGN.
Change the following:
XPT1 - CH 5
XPT2 - CH 1
XPT3 - CH 7
XPT4 - CH 6
XPT5 - CH 8
XPT6 - CH 2
XPT7 - CH 3
XPT8 - CH 4
This now means:
- SDI Camera A on input 5 is XPT 1
- SDI Camera B on input 6 is XPT 4
- Graphics A on Input 3 is XPT 7
- Graphics B on Input 4 is XPT 8
This may seem confusing as first, but once you setup the Region of Interest Assignments, it will make sense.
SETUP THE CHANNEL ASSIGNMENTS
Next, go to MENU > INPUT > ASSIGN/SCALING
Change the Source settings for each Channel to the following:
Ch.1 - Shared Ch.5
Ch.2 - Shared Ch.6
Ch.3 - HDMI IN3
Ch.4 - HDMI IN4
Ch.5 - SDI IN5
Ch.6 - SDI IN6
Ch.7 - Shared Ch.5
Ch.8 - Shared Ch.6
Doing this creates additional copies of CAM A and CAM B, so you can zoom in and create additional shots using Region of Interest.
Again, this may seem confusing, but once you exit the menu, you will see you have a logical layout for your input sources. If you are trying to create your own custom input layout, note that the channels listed here follow the Cross-Point Assignments you setup in the previous step.
- Ch.1 was assigned to XPT 2, and is a copy of Ch.5 (which was assigned to XPT 1, and is SDI IN5)
- Ch.2 was assigned to XPT 6, and is a copy of Ch.6 (which was assigned to XPT 4, and is SDI IN6)
- Ch.3 was assigned to XPT 7, and is HDMI IN3
- Ch.4 was assigned to XPT 8, and is HDMI IN4
- Ch.5 was assigned to XPT 1, and is SDI IN5
- Ch.6 was assigned to XPT 4, and is SDI IN6
- Ch.7 was assigned to XPT 3, and is a copy of Ch.5 (which was assigned to XPT 1, and is SDI IN5)
- Ch.8 was assigned to XPT 5, and is a copy of Ch.6 (which was assigned to XPT 4, and is SDI IN6)
So here is what ends up in each Multi-View box:
RENAME MULTI-VIEW LABELS
Next, go to MENU > SYSTEM > MULTI-VIEW.
Here, you can rename the inputs. Note that the labels do not follow the cross-point assignments, meaning you are renaming the text in the actual boxes as you see them on the Multi-View screen.
XPT 1 - CAM A1
XPT 2 - CAM A2
XPT 3 - CAM A3
XPT 4 - CAM B1
XPT 5 - CAM B2
XPT 6 - CAM B3
XPT 7 - GFX A
XPT 8 - GFX B
SETUP REGION OF INTEREST
You can now setup the Region of Interest shots for CAM A2, A3, B2, and B3 by following this guide:
Select the Cross-Point in the PST bus of the shot you want to zoom in on, which in this case is 2, 3, 5, and 6.
Also note that the DSK source matches the updated cross-points, so the DSK Source Channel is still XPT 8.