The RD-88 can connect to a computer so it can be integrated with music software applications. There are two ways to make this connection:
- Direct USB connection. This will use a standard USB cable connected to the square "USB COMPUTER" port on the back of the RD-88 and then to a standard USB port on your computer.
- Connection using a MIDI or Audio/MIDI interface. This will use the MIDI In and MIDI Out ports as well as the Main Out Left/Right jacks (if you are using an audio interface) on the back panel of the RD-88, which will connect to the interface, and the interface will then connect to a standard USB port on your computer.
The functionality and operation of the RD-88 and your computer-based application(s) will be the same no matter which type of connection you are using - the only difference is how the MIDI and Audio signals are routed.
Connecting your RD-88 to a computer using the direct USB connection
1. On the RD-88, press the MENU button.
2. Cursor to "SYSTEM" and press ENTER.
3. Cursor to "USB Driver" and use the dec / inc buttons to select "VENDOR."
4. Press the WRITE button, cursor to "SYSTEM" and press ENTER, then highlight "WRITE" and press ENTER. This will save this setting. Power off and back on the JUPITER-X.
5. Download and install the RD-88 USB driver for your computer and connect the USB cable. You can download the latest drivers from our website here.
Make sure you download the driver that corresponds to the type of computer you have (Mac or Windows-based) and the version of operating system you are using. Once downloaded, you will need to run the setup application to install the driver into your system. This may include re-starting your computer.
Note: If you are using a Windows 10 computer, the driver will be automatically downloaded and installed when you connect the JUPITER-X to your computer via USB.
6. Confirm that the USB driver is installed correctly and that the computer is communicating correctly with the RD-88.
- On a Macintosh, open the Audio MIDI Setup utility and confirm that the RD-88 is listed in both the Audio and MIDI Studio windows.
- On a PC, open the Device Manager and confirm that the RD-88 is listed under "Sound, video, and game controllers."
7. Activate or enable the RD-88 in your music software. You will need to consult with the documentation for your specific application for this, but usually there is a preferences menu where you will need to enable the RD-88 so it can be used by your software.
This will allow you to transfer both MIDI and Audio data between the RD-88 and your computer.
Connecting your RD-88 to a computer using a separate MIDI or Audio/MIDI interface
1. Download and install the USB driver for your the interface (if necessary).
2. Confirm that the USB driver is installed correctly and that the computer is communicating correctly with the interface.
- On a Macintosh, open the Audio MIDI Setup utility and confirm that the interface is listed in both the Audio and MIDI Studio windows if it is a Audio and MIDI interface, or only in the MIDI Studio window if it is a MIDI interface.
- On a PC, open the Device Manager and confirm that the interface is listed under "Sound, video, and game controllers."
3. Activate or enable the interface in your music software. You will need to consult with the documentation for your specific application for this.
4. Connect the RD-88 to the interface.