"I can't use BOSS Tone Studio, but I've downloaded the latest version from the BOSS website."
Before we solve this problem, please ensure that you have downloaded the correct version relative to your KATANA. There are BOSS Tone Studios for both MKI and MKII.
BOSS TONE STUDIO MKII FOR WINDOWS - BOSS - Support - KATANA-Artist MkII - Updates & Drivers
BOSS TONE STUDIO MKII FOR MAC OS - BOSS - Support - KATANA-Artist MkII - Updates & Drivers
When you see the error message ""You are using an older version of Katana MKII. Update to the latest version." This is referring to your KATANA MKII's current firmware and not the BTS/BOSS Tone Studio app version itself. In order to get your KATANA MKII working with BOSS Tone Studio for KATANA MKII, we'll start by checking the firmware on your KATANA MKII amp.
Check your model's current software version
Follow these steps to check your KATANA MKII's current version:
- Hold the [TAP] button and switch the power on.
- The FX indicators will light up as follows if your amplifier is running the current version.
- BOOSTER - GREEN
- MOD - DARK
- FX - GREEN
- DELAY - DARK
- REVERB - DARK
- If EFFECT LEDs light up in a different way on your amplifier, then it's necessary to update the firmware.
PROCEDURE FOR THE UPDATE
To download SYSTEM PROGRAM VER.1.10, please follow the below link;
Check the Roland Software License Agreement and download the zip file.
Pay particular attention to these steps of the process.
- Once the .zip update file has been downloaded, Extract All (Extract All for WINDOWS only, macOS auto extracts contents) Do not attempt to open any of the files in the zip.
- Follow steps 1 and 2 closely so that your KATANA powers on in update mode.
(Press and hold the PANEL button while powering on the amp to activate update mode).
- Step 5 of the procedure requires you to drag/drop or copy/paste the two files included in the "katana2_sys_v110" folder into the "BOSS_KTNMK2" external drive icon.
The update requires both the KATANAM2.BIN and ROMINFO.TXT files for the update.
- The update may take a short while, so wait for the EFFECTS indicators to all slowly flash together before switching the power off.
-If the EFFECT LEDs flash green slowly the update was a success and complete.
-If the EFFECT LEDs flash red rapidly the update procedure failed, re-evaluate, review instructions, troubleshoot and attempt update process again.
Repeat the steps at the beginning of this article to double check you are now running the latest firmware.